Gilbert Close, High Path Estate, South Wimbledon
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1957|
|Copyright 1||W.A. Cook|
|Notes / History||Much of the estate dates from the early 1950s and was built to replace slum housing in areas such as Pincott Road. Many of the new blocks were known as "closes" including Priory Close, which replaced older terraces near Nelson Grove Road. The estate reflects much of the district's earlier history in its street names. For instance, Priory Close and Abbey Road refer to Merton Priory, a vast religious institution which once occupled much of the surrounding area. Stane Close takes its name from Stane Street, a Roman road which ran through parts of Morden and Colliers wood, linking London with Chichester.