Glebe Estate: Mitcham
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1956|
|Copyright 1||Sydney W Newberry|
|Notes / History||A bungalow on the edge of Glebe Estate, London Road, Mitcham. During the 1950's, "Mitcham Corporation claimed with pride to have the best municipal housing record of any authority in Surrey." Built on land formerly owned by the parish church (glebe land) it just one of several ambitious municipal property developments constructed during the post war era when there was little in the way of private building.
Bungalows were invented in the Indian province of Bengal during the 19th Century. The term derives from 'bangla' or 'bangala' , the name given to the single storey, open plan housing which was common in that area. Many bungalows were constructed during the post war era as they were cheaper to build and maintain, offering families improved living conditions after years of wartime austerity.