Phipps Bridge Site, Mitcham: Aerial View
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||10th February 1954|
|Copyright 1||Photoflight Limited|
|Notes / History||The smoking tower, picture centre, belongs to the Homeward Road refuse destructor, run by Mitcham Corporation. In the upper section of the picture, below the wartime allotments, rows of prefabricated bungalows can be seen. These were erected to meet the demands for housing in the aftermath of World War II.
The Rock Terrace Recreation ground is shown far right. Much of the area was cleared during the 1960s to make way for the Phipps Bridge Estate.
The Wimbledon to Croydon railway line, far left, is now part of the local Tramlink system.