Merton Place: The home of Admiral Lord Nelson
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1805|
|Notes / History||Bought for £9,000, the estate covered the ground between Quicks Road (north), Morden Road (west) and Haydons Road/Abbey Road (east). The house stood on what is now Reform Place, with entrance gates situated where the Nelson Arms pub now stands.
Merton High Street divided the southern half of the estate containing the house and gardens from the northern section with its shrubbery and ornamental mound, often referred to as the “Quarter Deck”. The Wandle supplied a moat which Lady Emma christened the “Nile”. This was spanned by an Italianate bridge and stocked with fish and boats.
Nelson described the estate as “Paradise Merton” and seems to have thoroughly enjoyed his residence there.