Morden Hall, Morden Hall Park
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Notes / History||View of the south front of Morden Hall.
The house dates from c.1791 and was
home to the Garth family, lords of the manor of Morden from 1554 to 1872.
Morden Hall was used as a school for young gentlemen between the 1840s and 1870. During the latter half of the nineteeth century the estate passed into the ownership of the Hatfeild family. They had made their fortune through the manufacture of snuff, including a long term lease on the adjacent
Morden Snuff Mill.
The last private owner of the Hall was
Gilliat Edward Hatfeild, who vacated the property during the Great War, in order to allow its use as a military hospital.
He moved into Morden Cottage, situated within the grounds of the hall.
When Gilliat died in 1941, the Hall was passed to the local council and the estate was bequeathed to the National Trust