Morden Hall, Morden. The stables
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1951|
|Copyright 1||B. Fletcher|
|Notes / History||The Stable block at Morden Hall Park was built by Gilliat Hatfeild snr in 1879 to house his large stable of horses. He preferred to travel to the City in a carriage rather than by the railway. The stable block forms a quadrangle around a cobbled courtway, entered through an arched gateway surmounted by a clock-tower. The clock-tower reflects Gilliat's insistence on punctuality, as it used to chime every 15 minutes to ensure the estate ran like clockwork. The clock-tower also features a weather vane in the form of a trout, which reflects his passion for fishing. Trout were bred in the little Dairy across the river from the stables.
The stable block has recently been renovated, and houses a cafe, and exhibition spaces, including a Livinggreen exhibition on sustainable energy.