White Hart, Cricket Green

White Hart, Cricket Green

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1962
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 F P Olney
Picture Reference Mit_​Pubs_​26-1
Original Format Photo
Notes / History The White Hart has been in existence since at least the 17th century, and was rebuilt from 1749-1751 as the old building was in danger of collapse. It served as a coaching inn, had horses available for hire, and was the start of a stagecoach route.

The pub has a dark history. In 1935 both the landlord and a barman committed suicide. The following year it was at the centre of an unresolved murder enquiry when the body of a woman who had been drinking there a few hours earlier was found at the bottom of a nearby well.

Note the post box which was moved further along London Road when traffic lights were installed at junction.

Related items

Comments

* Required field