Central School, Camp Road, Wimbledon Common
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||J Kenrick|
|Notes / History||Founded in 1758, the Round School was the principal elementary school in Wimbledon Village and was run as a charity school for poor children. Amongst its trustees was the social reformer and anti-slavery campaigner William Wilberforce, who lived locally.
During the 19th Century the octagonal building became known as the
Old Central School, and provided education until the 1960’s. It was then affiliated with Bishop Gilpin School,
Lake Road, Wimbledon. In recent years the school has been converted for use by children with disabilities and special educational needs.