All Saints School, Wimbledon: Lessons in Housework
Buy a print
|Notes / History||All Saints' School opened in 1867, and was closely connected to All Saints' Church from the start, as its founding reverend, William Bartlett, started an infants' school, night school, Sunday School, and primary school, the latter of which would become All Saints'. Reverend Pickering, the first priest of the parish, believed strongly in the importance of providing a Christian education for children in every parish, and so the school continued to grow. In the early 1900s, the school placed a high priority on helping the area poor, and hosted events for the children, such as tea parties and pageants. This housework lesson tied in to the school's philosophy of helping the poor by teaching them life skills, such as cooking and cleaning.
The school building on Haydon's Road closed down in the 1980s, as the school had moved to a new site, but was recently reopened, and the school is now divided between two locations.