Ricards Lodge School, Wimbledon: Art Lesson
Buy a print
|Notes / History||Ricards Lodge began life in 1924 as the Wimbledon Day Commercial School for Girls; housed in Gladstone Road, it offered a two year course on business studies and general subjects to 14 year old girls. In 1934 secretarial classes for older girls were added, and it became necessary to move to better accommodation. The school eventually found a home in Ricards Lodge, former home of Percy Mortimer, a fine manor house built in 1875.
However, after Ricards Lodge was amalgamated with the Queens Road Girls School, more space was needed, and the girls had to be housed in several separate buildings until these additions could be completed. Further change occurred when Merton reorganised their comprehensive educational system, and Ricards Lodge became a comprehensive high school for girls, which it remains to this day.