Haygarth Memorial School, Wimbledon

Haygarth Memorial School, Wimbledon

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c 1908
Area Wimbledon
Picture Reference Wim_​32_​3-1
Original Format Photo
Photographer / Origin of Photo Johns
Notes / History The Haygarth Memorial Training School for Girls was founded in 1859 by Canon and Mrs. Haygarth in order to train girls for domestic service, and originally accommodated 18 pupils. Henry William Haygarth was Canon at nearby St Mary's Church, and had a particularly long tenure, serving from 1859 until his death in 1902.
After 1908, the school was based in the building shown here; 54 The Ridgway, a listed building built in the Queen Anne Revival manner. The school shut its doors in 1945, as due to the wars, changes in technology, and other factors, most people no longer required domestic servants, and the class size had dwindled to only five pupils.

Related items

Comments

* Required field