Wimbledon School of Art

Wimbledon School of Art

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c 1904
Area Wimbledon
Copyright 1 L & E Pegrotti
Picture Reference Wim_​32_​16-1
Original Format Postcard
Notes / History Wimbledon School of Art got its start in 1890, when an art class was begun for pupils at the Rutlish School. This photograph probably dates to the period between 1904 and 1920, when the classes were moved to the Wimbledon Technical College, and included pupils of both sexes, as art was seen as an appropriately feminine skill for women of the time to develop. Wimbledon School of Art became independent in 1930, and moved to its present location on Merton Hall Road in 1940. In 2006, it became part of the University of the Arts London, and was renamed Wimbledon College of Art.

Related items

Comments

* Required field