Ricards Lodge School, Wimbledon
Buy a print
|Notes / History||Ricards Lodge began life in 1924 as the Wimbledon Day Commercial School for Girls; housed in Gladstone Road, it offered a two year course on business studies and general subjects to 14 year old girls. In 1934 secretarial classes for older girls were added, and it became necessary to move to better accommodation. The school eventually found a home in Ricards Lodge, former home of Percy Mortimer, a fine manor house built in 1875. However, after Ricards Lodge was amalgamated with the Queens Road Girls School, more space was needed, and the girls had to be housed in several separate buildings until these additions could be completed. Further change occurred when Merton reorganised their comprehensive educational system, and Ricards Lodge became a comprehensive high school for girls, which it remains to this day.
The older part of the current school is a four floor building, whilst the newer additions, built in 1975, are two floors. The two sections of the school are connected by a pedestrian bridge.