Catholic College, Wimbledon: The Hall

Buy a print

Area Wimbledon
Copyright 1 The Collectors Publishing Co.
Picture Reference Wim_​32_​11-2
Original Format Postcard
Notes / History Wimbledon College began life as the Anglican Preparatory Military Academy, run by John Brackenbury, and was known for its attractive grounds. However, the school went into a decline and was purchased by Jesuits in 1892, thus becoming Wimbledon College, a Roman Catholic school that shares a close relationship with the nearby Sacred Heart Church. It became a grammar school in 1944, and a comprehensive in 1969 when Merton reorganised their educational system.

Related items

Comments

* Required field