Wimbledon County School for Girls: Miss Batho and Pupils

Buy a print

Area Merton Park
Picture Reference Wim_​33_​1-38
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Miss Agnes Mary Batho was the school's first headmistress, serving from the school's beginnings in 1907, up until 1919, when Miss Borthwick took over.

The school was initially founded in 1905 as a teacher's training centre, but a secondary school naturally grew up around it, which was formally recognised in 1907. Despite this, due to the war and other issues, the Wimbledon County School did not acquire a permanent building until 1924. The school closed in 1969 when Merton reorganised their comprehensive educational system, and was merged with the Rickards Lodge School.

Related items

Comments

* Required field