Wimbledon County School for Girls: 'Pride and Prejudice'

Wimbledon County School for Girls: 'Pride and Prejudice'

Buy a print

Date Photo Taken 5th February 1937
Area Merton Park
Picture Reference Wim_​33_​1-56
Original Format Postcard
Notes / History The staff at the Wimbledon County School for Girls put on a play in 1937 for the first time since 1933, choosing 'Pride and Prejudice' as their selection. The play proved so popular that an encore performance was given the following night.

The school was initially founded in 1905 as a teacher's training centre, but a secondary school naturally grew up around it, which was formally recognised in 1907. Despite this, due to the war and other issues, the Wimbledon County School did not acquire a permanent building until 1924. The school closed in 1969 when Merton reorganised their comprehensive educational system, and was merged with the Rickards Lodge School.

Related items

Comments

* Required field