Wimbledon County School for Girls: Form 5A

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1945
Area Merton Park
Picture Reference Wim_​33_​1-21
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Although this photo was taken during WWII, life continued as normal for the most part at the Wimbledon County School for Girls. The school lost a few windows during the Blitz (the girls lived in tents during evacuations), but was otherwise undamaged, and no fatal casualties were sustained by the students and staff. Even with the hardships of war and rationing, the school cotinued to grow, from 400 pupils in 1940, to over 500 by 1945.

Related items

Comments

* Required field