Wimbledon County School for Girls: School Hall
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c 1927|
|Notes / History||Although the Wimbledon County School for Girls moved into their new building in 1924, some of the rooms weren't completed until 1927, like the handsome new School Hall shown here, which also served as a gymnasium until a purpose-built room was added on in 1933. Also just finished in 1927 were a Geography Room, Art Room, Domestic Science Kitchen, and a library.
The school was initially founded in 1905 as a teacher's training centre, but a secondary school naturally grew up around it, which was formally recognised in 1907. Despite this, due to the war and other issues, the Wimbledon County School did not acquire a permanent building until 1924. The school closed in 1969 when Merton reorganised their comprehensive educational system, and was merged with the Rickards Lodge School.