Wimbledon County School for Girls: Cookery Class
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1920|
|Notes / History||This picture was taken whilst the school was still in its temporary accomodation, lacking the 'well-fitted' domestic science kitchen it would acquire in 1927, well after the school had moved into its new building.
The Wimbledon County School for Girls was initially founded in 1905 as a teacher's training centre, but a secondary school naturally grew up around it, which was formally recognised in 1907. Despite this, due to the war and other issues, the school did not acquire a permanent building until 1924. The school closed in 1969 when Merton reorganised their comprehensive education, and was merged with the Rickards Lodge School