Wimbledon County School for Girls: Miss Wade, Headmistress
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1964|
|Notes / History||Miss K F Wade was the third headmistress of the Wimbledon County School for Girls, taking over from Miss Borthwick in 1940. She saw the school through the long years of war and rationing, and oversaw the growth of the school, and improvements such as a swimming pool.
The school was initially founded in 1905 as a teacher's training centre, but a secondary school naturally grew up around it, which was formally recognised in 1907. Despite this, due to the war and other issues, the Wimbledon County School did not acquire a permanent building until 1924. The school closed in 1969 when Merton reorganised their comprehensive educational system, and was merged with the Rickards Lodge School.