Wimbledon County School for Girls: Gym Display, 1954

Wimbledon County School for Girls:  Gym Display, 1954

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1954
Area Merton Park
Picture Reference Wim_​33_​1-10
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Spectators look on as girls from the Wimbledon County School take part in a sychronised gym display. This display of dancing and gymnastics was put on as thanks to all those who contributed to the school's Swimming Bath Fund.

The school was initially founded in 1905 as a teacher's training centre, but a secondary school naturally grew up around it, which was formally recognised in 1907. Despite this, due to the war and other issues, the Wimbledon County School did not acquire a permanent building until 1924. The school closed in 1969 when Merton reorganised their comprehensive education, and was merged with the Rickards Lodge School.

Related items

Comments

* Required field