Cannon Hill Common: A swan pictured on the lake
Buy a copy
|Copyright 1||Museum of Wimbledon|
|Notes / History||Cannon Hill Common was not common land as such but formed part of the extensive holdings of Merton Priory founded in the 12th century.
The land was farmed for many centuries until 1763 when William Taylor acquired the freehold of the site and built Cannon Hill House.
Sadly, with no one to inherit, the house fell into disrepair and was demolished sometime during the 1930s – 1940s. Its site at the edge of the lake and woodland was first designated a bird sanctuary in 1927. Since 1998 it has been managed as a nature reserve under the management of the London Wildlife Trust.