Caesar's Well, Wimbledon Common

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1910
Area Wimbledon Village
Picture Reference Wim_​19_​1-32
Original Format Photo
Notes / History On the south-western edge of the Common lies a promontory known as Caesar's Camp.

Despite rumours to the contrary, this site was never occupied by the Roman Army - it actually marks the site of an Iron Age hill fort.

Caesar's Well was the name given to a natural spring situated nearby. Flanked by granite blocks since 1872, the water is now dispensed from a standpipe.

Related items

Comments

* Required field