Open Air Baths, Wandle Park, Colliers Wood ( 1900-14 )
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1900|
|Notes / History||Youngsters enjoying an open-air swim at Wandle Park in Colliers Wood, which opened to the public in August 1913
Local councillors must have hoped that by constructing a purpose-built pool, with attendant staff, they would reduce the numbers of fatalities from children swimming in local ponds and rivers.
The children's swimming pool was constructed by the local council in an area to the rear of Millers Mead, off Merton High Street. This section of Wandle Park fell within the jurisdiction of the newly formed Mitcham Urban District Council.
The pool remained in use until 1933, when the new Public Baths were opened opposite Eagle House on London Road, Mitcham.