Wimbledon Common: Ponds

Wimbledon Common: Ponds

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1984
Area Wimbledon Village
Copyright 1 Judge's Postcards Ltd
Picture Reference Wim_​20_​4-9
Original Format Postcard
Notes / History This may be Bluegate Gravel Pit, or possibly Hookamslade, situated between Parkside and Inner Windmill Road. Thought to have been mentioned in manor court rolls c. 1763, Hookamslade is another pond created as a result of gravel extraction. In 1911, the pond was temporarily drained to form a flat, open heath, where a bonfire was lit to celebrate the coronation of King George V.

Related items

Comments

* Required field