Cavalry Drill on Wimbledon Common
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||14th April 1913|
|Copyright 1||C T Davis|
|Notes / History||There is a lengthy tradition of staging military assemblies, parades and manoeuvres on Wimbledon Common.
During the Tudor period, tenants of the Lord of the Manor were required to attend archery practice, using butts erected along Parkside, but they rarely complied with this ruling and were regularly fined for failing to make or repair sufficient targets.
Following the Restoration of Charles II, the Common witnessed the first parade by the Tangiers Regiment of Foot, now known as the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment. The Regiment's lengthy history is commemorated by an obelisk unveiled near Kingsmere, Wimbledon Common in 1961.