South Park Gardens, Wimbledon
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1920|
|Notes / History||South Park Gardens is a very popular park in Wimbledon.
As originally laid out in the late 1800s, the gardens were planted with roses, annual bedding plants, shrubs and trees. There was also a bandstand, which was erected in 1913 and was used for public concerts in the summer. It was demolished in 1959.
A granite horse trough, now used as a planter remains, as does the marble drinking fountain of 1888, which was erected at Ellen Rearden's bequest in memory of her father, mother and sister.
Restoration of the park took place following a Heritage Lottery Fund grant and South Park Gardens re-opened in June 2009.