Portrait of Admiral Lord Nelson
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Notes / History||Painted in the style of Lemuel Abbot, this portrait in oils is housed in the council chamber at Merton Civic Centre.
Nelson often described his happy times at "Paradise Merton."
Between 1801 and 1805, he owned Merton Place, a fine villa near
Merton High Street. He shared the property with his lover
Lady Emma Hamilton ( and her elderly husband, Sir William. ) The house was often visited by extended family and naval colleagues.
Following Nelson's death at the
Battle of Trafalgar, Emma Hamilton fell into a spiral of debt and was forced to sell her Merton estate. The land was redeveloped, particularly during the Victorian era.
The former site of Merton Place is now occupied by Doel Close, part of the High Path council estate.