Canon Jagger, Vicar of St. Mary's Parish Church, Merton
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1935|
|Notes / History||Canon James Edwin Jagger graduated at St. John’s College, Cambridge and began his ministry at Beverly Minster.
Canon Jagger came to Merton in 1904 and set to establish a church on the Morden side of the parish. At his time of death the result had been the erection of a hall, which was the first portion of what was to become St. James’s Church at St. Martin’s way.
In recognition of both the fact that canon Jagger was in his 50th year of priesthood and his 73rd birthday, the bishop of Southwark made him honorary canon of Southwark Cathedral.
Canon Jagger was a keen educationalist and took an interest in anything that related to the history of Merton. He was a passionate supporter of the John Evelyn Club for Wimbledon and due to his efforts the fine old Norman gateway to Merton Priory was removed and re-erected at the parish church and vicarage grounds.
Canon Jagger died just before his 75th birthday, and was succeeded by his wife and daughter.