Alderman W.H.Hamshaw, Wimbledon councillor, 1905-6
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Notes / History||Alderman Hamshaw was the first Mayor of Wimbledon and in July 1905, accompanied by the new Town Clerk, Mr Butterworth, he brought a Charter from Westminster to the local Town Hall.
This important document granted "Borough" status to Wimbledon and as the Alderman proclaimed its contents to the waiting crowds, he was greeted with rapturous applause. His accompanying speech, described 26th July 1905, as “the most important event in the history of our town.”