Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church, Edge Hill, Wimbledon
Buy a print
|Notes / History||The number of practising Roman Catholics in Wimbledon was low until Edith Arendup, a wealthy religious convert, opened a Mass centre at her home in Cottenham Park in 1877.
This attracted considerable interest and by 1887 the congregation had outgrown the premises.
A new Church of the Sacred Heart was built at Edge Hill and rapidly became one of the most popular Roman Catholic churches south of the Thames.