Ursuline Convent: Cloister

Ursuline Convent: Cloister

Buy a copy

For prints:
Contact Merton Heritage Service. Tel.020 8545 3239 Email:

Area Raynes Park
Copyright 1 W Stackemann & Co Ltd
Picture Reference Wim_​32_​10-1
Original Format Postcard
Notes / History The Ursuline Convent School opened in 1893, only a year after the Convent itself was founded on Worple Road. The school moved to The Downs in 1901 to inhabit the much larger Claremont building, shown here, and eventually expanded the school to include many of the surrounding buildings. During WWII, the school was outside the official evacuation zone, so the amount of boarders increased during this time. The school has changed from being a private boarding school to a voluntary aided grammar school, and is currently an 11-18 comprehensive.

Related items


* Required field