St Mary's Church, Church Path, Merton Park
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1952|
|Copyright 1||B..H. Fletcher|
|Notes / History||The grade II listed
St Mary’s was built c 1115 by Gilbert the Norman, sheriff of Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire and Surrey. Surviving medieval features include the north door which has a Norman arch (1121) and 14th century woodwork. There is also a dripstone above the West door, which is thought to portray Edward III and Queen Philippa; plus a Priest’s door, which leads to the modern vestry.
Some of those associated with the church include, Rear Admiral Isaac Smith, who as a Midshipman, sailed with Captain Cook on the Endeavour and was the first Englishman to set foot on Australian soil. Lord Nelson,worshipped at St Mary's when he lived at nearby Merton Place and his daughter Horatia attended the local Sunday school.
John Innes, founder of the Merton Park estate and William Rutlish, Court embroiderer to Charles II, are both buried in the adjoining churchyard.