Nelson Hospital, Men's Ward, Kingston Road

Nelson Hospital, Men's Ward,  Kingston Road

Prints Temporarily Unavailable

Buy a print

Area Merton Park
Copyright 1 Loofthouse, Crosbie & Co
Picture Reference MerMor_​30_​5-2
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Nelson Hospital staff was placed under great pressure during the war. The number of military casualties, combined with the absence of doctors on active service made it increasingly difficult to care for civilian patients. The Nelson Hospital helped to bridge the gap, providing invaluable treatment for the people of Merton, Morden, Mitcham and Wimbledon. Between 1914 and 1918, 2.070 patients had been admitted, plus a further 1,048 out-patients, mainly soldiers. The “Nelson” was also a recognised training hospital for V.A.D. nurses.

Related items

Comments

* Required field