Vestry Hall and Cricketers Inn, London Road, Mitcham

Buy a print

Area Mitcham
Picture Reference Mit_​3_​1-30
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Vestry Hall was built in 1887 to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee. It is situated on the spot once occupied by the old lock-up and village stocks. It was designed by Robert Masters Chart and opened by Mrs. Cosmo Bonsor, wife of the MP for Wimbledon. The building housed local parish council and the volunteer fire brigade, who were summoned by the striking of the bell in the clock tower.It now houses a number of community groups and charitable organisations.
The original Cricketers inn functioned as an early clubhouse for the local team and score records were kept from the pub balcony. At various points in it’s history, the pub has also been managed by former cricketers, including the Victorian bowler, James Southerton.

Related items

Comments

* Required field