Wimbledon Fire Brigade: Horses and pump

Wimbledon Fire Brigade: Horses and pump

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1904
Area Wimbledon Village
Picture Reference Wim_​35_​2-3
Original Format Photo
Notes / History The new steam powered pump belonging to the Wimbledon brigade. Until 1913 the pumps were horse drawn, the grey horses were trained by Captain Butler to slip their heads into their harnesses when they heard the fire bell ring. Their mascot was a greyhound who ran before the pumps.

Related items

Comments

* Required field