Atkinson Morley Hospital , Copse Hill

Buy a print

Area Wimbledon Village
Picture Reference Wim_​35_​3-7
Original Format Postcard
Notes / History Atkinson Morley Hospital was built using money bequeathed by Mr Atkinson Morley in the late 1860s.

The hospital was designed by Messrs. Kelly and Crawley and built by Messrs. Simpsons of Baker Street. The foundation stone was laid in 1867 and the building opened July 14 1869. However patients could not be admitted for al month as faulty plastering meant several ceilings collapsed shortly after the official opening.

Related items

Comments

* Required field