Atkinson Morley Hospital , Copse Hill
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Notes / History||When Mr Atkinson Morley died in 1858 he bequeathed money to several hospitals and also to the setting up the Atkinson Morley Widows’ Fund and the residue was to be invested for 5 years and then used to build and maintain a convalescent hospital associated with St George’s Hospital. At the time St George’s was situated on Hyde Park Corner so the choice of Wimbledon as the location was made because it was rural and far from the noise and smoke which would have made convalescent difficult.
The hospital although built well within budget the hospital soon was showing a loss and in 1877 the Board of Governors sold a package of land for £1,769.
Today the site has been redeveloped as housing.