Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||1st March 1937|
|Notes / History||Cumberland House: laying of foundation stone by the Rt.Hon. Sir Kingsley Wood Minister of Health
Cumberland Chest Hospital (constructed in 1958) near Cricket Green Mitcham, specialised in chest illnesses such as Tuberculosis and Lung cancer which were more common in this period. It has been suggested that 1950's Mitcham was still felt to be a suitably "rural" location for the treatment of patients, particularly by comparison with central London.