Mitcham Police Station demolished in 1964
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1900|
|Copyright 1||Phox Studios|
|Notes / History||This photograph was printed by a Mitcham studio using glass plate negatives. The plates were discovered when a new owner moved into the building in 1971. The original title of the plate was 11 Mitcham Police Station demolished in 1964.
In 1829 Sir Robert Peel succeeded in passing the Metropolitan Police Bill. The powers of the “New Police” extended as far as the parish of St. Peter and Paul, Mitcham. At this time Mitcham already had its own parish constables, governed by the Vestry.