Mitcham Fire Engine
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1897|
|Copyright 1||Tom Francis slide|
|Notes / History||Resplendent in their new uniforms and brass helmets, brigade members are shown aboard "Caesar", their first steam powered engine.
This was paid for by public subscription and named after Caesar Czarnikow of Mitcham Court, a wealthy Russian sugar merchant, who made the principal donation to the purchase fund.
The Fire Brigade made regular appearances in local parades and village celebrations. This picture is thought to show part of the parade held to mark Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee.
John R. Chart's Corn Merchants is just visible to the rear of the engine.