Fire at Colliers Wood
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||21st September 1908|
|Notes / History||The fire crew pictured here may have come from the Mitcham sub-station which was based at 113 High Street, Colliers Wood until 1926.
Edwardian interior design featured large quantities of furniture and heavy fabric drapes. These were lit by oil lamps, candles or gas mantles so increasing the risk of a blaze. Many local homes and businesses suffered fire damage during the 19th and early 20th centuries.