Atkinson Morley Hospital , Copse Hill

Atkinson Morley Hospital , Copse Hill

Buy a print

Area Wimbledon Village
Picture Reference Wim_​35_​3-16
Original Format Photo
Notes / History When Mr Atkinson Morley died in 1858 he bequeathed money to several hospitals and also to the setting up the Atkinson Morley Widows’ Fund and the residue was to be invested for 5 years and then used to build and maintain a convalescent hospital associated with St George’s Hospital. At the time St George’s was situated on Hyde Park Corner so the choice of Wimbledon as the location was made because it was rural and far from the noise and smoke which would have made convalescent difficult. Originally 24 possible sites were considered but the 4 were shortlisted included a site in Nightingale Lane, Clapham and an estate in Sheen as well as Wimbledon.

Related items

Comments

* Required field