Wilson Hospital, Cranmer Road, Mitcham
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date
|Notes / History
|Wilson Cottage Hospital, was opened in 1928 with donations made by the building developer Sir Isaac Wilson, one of Mitchams great benefactors. In earlier years it was unwise to fall seriously ill in Mitcham as this resulted in being pulled across the common to Croydon on a wheeled stretcher.
The Princess Royal, Princess Mary carried out the opening ceremony in 1928, and by 1938 a new block had been added and many improvements made so that the Hospital was completely equipped with its own operating theatre and every possible life-saving appliance available at the time.