Merton Heritage Centre, Mitcham: Official opening

Buy a print

Date Photo Taken 23rd April 1994
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 Susan Andrews
Picture Reference Mit_​Libraries_​3-8
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Taken at the time of the opening of Merton Heritage Centre in 1994, shown in the photograph is the pond, situated in the grounds of the 'listed' Canons House, Madeira Avenue, Mitcham. There is reference to the pond being in existence and having been enlarged by Robert Cranmer in around 1644 at a time when fish from the pond, probably carp, would have provided food for the household. The Canons House continued to be occupied as a private house until shortly before the outbreak of the was in 1939.

Related items

Comments

* Required field