Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1930|
|Notes / History||This postcard shows the mill cottages in the London Road as seen from the east. Two of the cottages date back to the mid-eighteenth century, the third to the mid-nineteenth century. All have now been refurbished but still retain their original weatherboard exteriors. They are privately owned and occupied.
The photo has been taken from the site of the old Crown Mill which was, in the nineteenth century, first a corn mill and then a snuff mill. During the Crimean War it was used to manufacture felt clothing for the British army, No evidence of it remains.