Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1918|
|Copyright 1||F J Townend|
|Notes / History||This is one of a series of photos of the Watermeads taken in 1918.
Situated upstream of Mitcham Bridge and entitled ‘the pool’ this photo shows a man-made area of water also known as the ‘Jack Pond’.
The pond, which is at the top of a cut to a nineteenth century paper mill, is thought to have been created to provide an additional reservoir of water for the mill.
The name Jack Pond was probably acquired because it contained small pike commonly known as ‘jacks’.