Wandle at Mitcham
Buy a print
|Notes / History||View looking upstream from Mitcham Bridge.
The cottage at the centre was probably built by Richard Jones - a felt manufacturer who had bought the nearby Crown Mill in the late 1840s. Although originally occupied by employees in the nearby mills, it became the home of Henry Bourne in 1895. Henry Bourne was the bailiff employed by the Wandle Fisheries Association which had been set up to conserve fish stocks in the river.
The cottage, which has now been extensively renovated, was originally called Wandle Cottage. It later became Fisheries Cottage. Its actual address is 475 London Road.