Wandle at Phipps Bridge
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1948|
|Copyright 1||E. Passmore Olney|
|Notes / History||This photograph shows the River Wandle below Phipps Bridge looking upstream. The land on the left is the former common land known in ancient times as the ‘waste of the parish’. Another piece of common land lies on the west bank immediately beyond the bridge where it is crossed by the Wandle Trail. ‘Both were once part of the more extensive common meadow or rough pasture which lay within the manorial estate held by Merton Priory which embraced much of North Mitcham’*.
*’Phipps Bridge’ by E. N. Montagu P99