Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1927|
|Copyright 1||F Wells|
|Notes / History||This is one of a group of 3 postcards showing the Watermeads area of the Wandle upstream of Mitcham Bridge in 1927.
Covering 12 acres of waterside meadow, Watermeads was once the site of two mills. One was a snuff mill and one a paper mill. Both mills had ceased to operate by the turn of the century.
In 1913 the land was purchased by the National Trust. It is now, one hundred years later, managed by the Trust as a nature reserve. As a natural wetland, it contains several wetland plants rarely seen elsewhere in the London area.